WELCOME to Between The Lines

This is my chronicle of my occasional travels about the country. I started it in 2010 for my trip on my 2005 Harley Road King Classic for Big Daddy's Gulf Coast Gypsy Tour to New Orleans...Read below to find out about it! NEW REQUEST FOR READERS! If you are following this blog, sign in as a follower! That way I get to know who my audience is, which makes it more fun. Thanks!

In 2011 its the same destination, and its another Big Daddy Gypsy Tour, but on a different bike (my new Road Glide Ultra) and via a different route. This year is going to be in preparation for a 'Travels with Charlie' trip sometime in the future --so its camping along the way, and reporting as I have energy and internet connections.

Periodic posts will appear below, latest first. The
"Pages" down at the bottom have some information of more general applicability or interest. Enjoy! HippieDave

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Wyoming is sure horse country, and horseperson (cowperson?) country!

This is a little town we stopped in for gas, but all are very much the same.  Wyoming has a few larger cities, but is mostly a state of small towns.  These two friendly guys (grandpa and grandson) were just out for a ride on the town main street, and stopped to admire the bikes.  Grandpa doesn't ride motorcycles anymore 'cause he kept falling off.  I told him that's the way it was with me and horses.

The trip from Jackson Hole over to Casper WY was smooth sailing once we got the Indian started in the a.m.  It was about 6500 feet and about 41 degrees this morning, and the Indian didn't like either of those facts.  But Greg got his morning aerobic workout (for those who aren't aware of the fact, a 1947 Indian has to be kick started every time...no electric ignition!)   Jackson was also totally fogged in, and we never got to see the Gran Tetons even as we rode out.

The woman behind the desk at our Best Western tonight is a fourth generation Wyomingite and used to drive a cab in Deadwood.  Gotta be some great stories there, but the front desk is too busy for me to take up her time.  I just wish i could remember all my western history, but I guess I'l get a chance to brush up on it in Deadwood.  Most people don't associate the Dakotas with the great Indian conflicts of the 19th century, but the stretch along the northern Wyoming/southern Montana borders and into South Dakota and Nebraska was the heart of much of the Indian conflict, the principal tribes being the Sioux family of tribes.  Little Bighorn, where Custer bought the farm, is a bit west of Deadwood, out in southern Montana, but Wounded Knee is right here in South Dakota, just an arrow shot from the Nebraska border.  Much of the history of the European settlers moving into Indian lands took place right around this area. I am really looking forward to riding through these grassland prairies only a few generations removed from the drama that unfolded on them as part of the settlement of the American West.

No comments:

Post a Comment