WELCOME to Between The Lines

This is my chronicle of my occasional travels about the country. I started it in 2010 for my trip on my 2005 Harley Road King Classic for Big Daddy's Gulf Coast Gypsy Tour to New Orleans...Read below to find out about it! NEW REQUEST FOR READERS! If you are following this blog, sign in as a follower! That way I get to know who my audience is, which makes it more fun. Thanks!

In 2011 its the same destination, and its another Big Daddy Gypsy Tour, but on a different bike (my new Road Glide Ultra) and via a different route. This year is going to be in preparation for a 'Travels with Charlie' trip sometime in the future --so its camping along the way, and reporting as I have energy and internet connections.

Periodic posts will appear below, latest first. The
"Pages" down at the bottom have some information of more general applicability or interest. Enjoy! HippieDave

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Made it into Codcy WY at about 8:30 this p.m.

What was to have been a leisurely 375 mile ride today proved long and frustrating, as a shorted out coil on the Indian sidelined us for 2 1/2 hours.  But after many frustrated attempts to kick start, push start and use pure willpower on it, the problem was ultimately diagnosed, and a new coil located at an auto parts store 15 minutes down the road. The bike started first try.

We then proceeded to travel through the Big Horn mountains and into Cody.  It was a hard ride, as the setting sun was in our faces the whole way...but what a stupendously gorgeous place. I'm coming back to ride it again.  I may move here.  Late in the afternoon, with the sun having dropped below the mountains, we had a huge pronghorn antelope buck galloping along side the road, seemingly racing us to the next stop.  Gassed up in Greybull WY and caught a hatch coming off the Bighorn River.  Cleaned off face shields.  Flat land and open sky as far as the eye can see, surrounded by mountains that never seem to get any closer no matter how long or fast you ride.

This is such a great country.  Too bad its so poorly managed. Its 10:30, and I'm beat.  Tomorrow is Yellowstone.   Will report fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment