WELCOME to Between The Lines

This is my chronicle of my occasional travels about the country. I started it in 2010 for my trip on my 2005 Harley Road King Classic for Big Daddy's Gulf Coast Gypsy Tour to New Orleans...Read below to find out about it! NEW REQUEST FOR READERS! If you are following this blog, sign in as a follower! That way I get to know who my audience is, which makes it more fun. Thanks!

In 2011 its the same destination, and its another Big Daddy Gypsy Tour, but on a different bike (my new Road Glide Ultra) and via a different route. This year is going to be in preparation for a 'Travels with Charlie' trip sometime in the future --so its camping along the way, and reporting as I have energy and internet connections.

Periodic posts will appear below, latest first. The
"Pages" down at the bottom have some information of more general applicability or interest. Enjoy! HippieDave

Sunday, September 9, 2012

We traveled through Yellowstone today and I was not prepared for how the fire of a few years ago had devastated the landscape. It is pretty grim.  I want to go back to the big Horn Mountains.  I want to fish the Madison on the west side of the park.  I want to roam around northern Idaho, western Wyoming and southern Montana.  But I don't think I need to see Old Faithful again.  Its still as cool as ever--- well, hot actually--- but it lacks the personality that will bring me back to the rivers and mountains of the high plains.  The Madison at the west entrance is a spectacular trout steam!

We did get charged (sort of ) by a Buffalo.  It is not easy to turn a standing Harley around and run the other way on a standard width road, but I did. I was too busy to get a photo of it, but afterward the old guy sauntered off the road and took a dust bath:




I have to say these are awe inspiring creatures when they get some speed on down an asphalt road that you're at the other end of. [OK, you put the preposition in the right place!]  I was more or less caught in standing traffic looking at this guy who had wandered onto the road ahead of me, when a bicyclist came up the road and spooked him into running down towards us.  Its one thing to contemplate meeting one of these first hand from inside an RV, probably rented anyway, and quite another to contemplate it from the saddle of a motorcycle.  So I u-turned and hightailed it faster than you could say "thank got for electric starters and fuel injected engines."

The day was uneventful, but a bit tiring from handling the MC at low speeds all day.  We'll head on down the road tomorrow, more or less making a beeline for home on wednesday.  So this may be my last post until I get home and have an opportunity to contemplate how this trip went.  Right now, I know I want to revisit some places, preferably both in the winter and once again in the fall, but this time with a fly rod in hand and a nice campground to go back to in the evening.  Also, preferably, with companionable folk to tell fishing lies to around a campfire.

No comments:

Post a Comment