WELCOME to Between The Lines

This is my chronicle of my occasional travels about the country. I started it in 2010 for my trip on my 2005 Harley Road King Classic for Big Daddy's Gulf Coast Gypsy Tour to New Orleans...Read below to find out about it! NEW REQUEST FOR READERS! If you are following this blog, sign in as a follower! That way I get to know who my audience is, which makes it more fun. Thanks!

In 2011 its the same destination, and its another Big Daddy Gypsy Tour, but on a different bike (my new Road Glide Ultra) and via a different route. This year is going to be in preparation for a 'Travels with Charlie' trip sometime in the future --so its camping along the way, and reporting as I have energy and internet connections.

Periodic posts will appear below, latest first. The
"Pages" down at the bottom have some information of more general applicability or interest. Enjoy! HippieDave

Friday, September 30, 2011

Spent today at the two parks in this area, Arches and Canyonlands. Both worthwhile, although the northern part of Canyonlands, the part you access from here, could be missed. It fit my schedule, so I'm glad I went, but I wouldn't make it a target destination. (The Needles area, down south, is supposed to be different. Arches on the other hand is spectacular even without the arches. The stuff right inside the gate before you encounter any arches is simply as spectacular as any other scenery in Utah.



This will have to be short as my day ran long but my battery may not. Tomorrow I have to find a place with power! Weather continues very hot, although the natives act like its a cool spring day. Evenings are in fact quite balmy.

There is a lot of red stone here. I think I'm ready for a change of scenery. Will see what Durango has to offer in the way of change.

Did find some good music tonight at a little cafe in Moab. Same sort of stuff I do (and therefore like). Tonight is a big gay and bisexual weekend in Moab, so this must be something of a bohemian pocket for Utah. Sorry, kids....its still Utah. I couldn't order a non-alcoholic beer without also ordering food, but the place lets people sit on the window with their wine and smoke. I guess the window sill means they're drinking inside but smoking out?

I find Utah a very cloying environment. Made the mistake of reading the Salt Lake Tribune today...Did you know that the Utah public schools on back to back days allowed parents to sign their kids OUT of listening to the President's annual address to school children (and widely publicized the fact that parents would have that option), and the next day had two Utah republican office-holders deliver an annual lecture on patriotism and the meaning of the US Constitution! I just bet that was an earful. Make no mistake, they may smile and tell you to come back, but they don't mean it beyond a natural desire to help you part with your money.

Speaking of which--I hear people complaining a lot about foreigners here. And its true that about 90% of the visitors I have encountered at the parks have been from Northern Europe...lots of Germans, Dutch, English, French...Based on what I've heard, I guess the locals would much prefer to get American tourist money...Must just feel better to them. When they complain, do they have any understanding of balance of payment issues and how fantastic it is to have Europeans spending money here? The dominant sentiment seems to be summed up by a T-shirt enjoying considerable popularity among locals. It says: “Why should I have to dial 1 for English?” More tomorrow. Adios. Auf Wiedersehen. Adieu. Ciao bella!  

No comments:

Post a Comment