WELCOME to Between The Lines

This is my chronicle of my occasional travels about the country. I started it in 2010 for my trip on my 2005 Harley Road King Classic for Big Daddy's Gulf Coast Gypsy Tour to New Orleans...Read below to find out about it! NEW REQUEST FOR READERS! If you are following this blog, sign in as a follower! That way I get to know who my audience is, which makes it more fun. Thanks!

In 2011 its the same destination, and its another Big Daddy Gypsy Tour, but on a different bike (my new Road Glide Ultra) and via a different route. This year is going to be in preparation for a 'Travels with Charlie' trip sometime in the future --so its camping along the way, and reporting as I have energy and internet connections.

Periodic posts will appear below, latest first. The
"Pages" down at the bottom have some information of more general applicability or interest. Enjoy! HippieDave

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day 1 is done!

What a start! Discovered loose steering bearing so spent the a.m. today at the dealer in Carson City NV. Fixed and on the road by noon, only to face major construction along the way.t

Hwy 50 is not the loneliest road in America as claimed.  Desolate -- I give it high marks; But Lonely? Nah.   Why once there was a few minutes where, counting me, I could see 4 vehicles at once!  I don't think there ever was a time when a car didn''t pass me going the other way at least once every five or ten minutes! And then there was the visiting hour spent talking with other stranded folks at construction stops.  No, 120 out of Mono Lake, or the Extraterrestrial Hwy are much lonelier.
But Godforsaken I give it.  This is the kind of country that if there were any human kids around, they'd be driven 20 miles to the bus stop, and then ride two hours to school.  Nevadans have some curious notions about things too:  there's the Toyibe National Forest that doesn't sport a single tree, let alone a copse big enough to claim the designation "forest".  And roadside signs warning of impending traffic from "farm equipment" has got to be someone's idea of a cute joke.  The only thing growing between Carson City and Eureka NV is sagebrush, and in some stretches not even that is hardy enough to fight for survival.

Ely is beautiful high desert though, and there was a delightful surprise of a great motorcycle highway coming into the last twenty miles or so.

Enough for tonight...typing in the dark is too hard.  I'll update more tomorrow. 'Nite.






!

No comments:

Post a Comment