WELCOME to Between The Lines

This is my chronicle of my occasional travels about the country. I started it in 2010 for my trip on my 2005 Harley Road King Classic for Big Daddy's Gulf Coast Gypsy Tour to New Orleans...Read below to find out about it! NEW REQUEST FOR READERS! If you are following this blog, sign in as a follower! That way I get to know who my audience is, which makes it more fun. Thanks!

In 2011 its the same destination, and its another Big Daddy Gypsy Tour, but on a different bike (my new Road Glide Ultra) and via a different route. This year is going to be in preparation for a 'Travels with Charlie' trip sometime in the future --so its camping along the way, and reporting as I have energy and internet connections.

Periodic posts will appear below, latest first. The
"Pages" down at the bottom have some information of more general applicability or interest. Enjoy! HippieDave

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Blast off is in two days, on Sunday Sept 25, and I am hoping all is organized and on board. Have repacked bike three or four times now, and final configuration is feeling and looking good and balanced. Tent was set up again with only a few minor glitches; big test on solo-set up will be in windy conditions. We'll see. Total gear weight is about 80 pounds, maybe a little more when all the little pieces are completely packed. So total weight should be no problem (a passenger would typically weigh more). Distribution of the weight is obviously more spread out than with a passenger, but it feels good in trial run around neighborhood.

Rain is forecast for launch day, so packing (which was done with worst case weather in mind) may be tested right out of the starting gate. All stuff that really needs to stay dry is in "dry sacks" designed for kayaking and other water sports, so should be OK.

First stop will be Fallen Leaf Lake where I have stuff to do for a day (Monday the 26th) before resuming the trek eastward on Tuesday. Next stop will be Great Basin National Park on Tues. night.

No comments:

Post a Comment