WELCOME to Between The Lines

This is my chronicle of my occasional travels about the country. I started it in 2010 for my trip on my 2005 Harley Road King Classic for Big Daddy's Gulf Coast Gypsy Tour to New Orleans...Read below to find out about it! NEW REQUEST FOR READERS! If you are following this blog, sign in as a follower! That way I get to know who my audience is, which makes it more fun. Thanks!

In 2011 its the same destination, and its another Big Daddy Gypsy Tour, but on a different bike (my new Road Glide Ultra) and via a different route. This year is going to be in preparation for a 'Travels with Charlie' trip sometime in the future --so its camping along the way, and reporting as I have energy and internet connections.

Periodic posts will appear below, latest first. The
"Pages" down at the bottom have some information of more general applicability or interest. Enjoy! HippieDave

Monday, October 18, 2010

Takin' It Eeeeasy!

Today was an easy 325 miles into Albuquerque, with a VERY important stop on the way.


But I didn't see her, although I waited by her truck for at least a half hour!



Anyone who doesn't get this should email one of their grandkids,as significant generational separation from this icon of American music is the only excuse!

I have never really spent time in New Mexico before, having just flown in and out of ABQ airport. It rivals parts of Utah for its buttes and mesas. Lots of Navajo, and I took a brief detour up into some of the place of the Dineh (if I recall my Tony Hillerman books correctly.) Maybe it is just this southern part, but it is nowhere near as arid as I had pictured. It is big and desolate though. Next trip I am going to get up to Shiprock and the Four Corners and some of the places that are cornerstones of the tribal holdings. It is purty though:



Tomorrow will be a long run as rick and I (he is due in from Salt Lake sometime tonight) will take off for Texas and thence into Louisiana on the following day. This sure is a big, wide open country. I forget how much plain old Space there is out here! And the goods we move around! I -40 must parallel one of the main freight routes, because the trains are non-stop and reach from engine to horizon. I saw one today and I swear it looked like some enterprising soul had figured that the overpasses would allow the freights to pull 1 and 2/3 containers in a stack! Was this an optical illusion? So anyway, today was my day for singing train songs as I rolled along. Someday I'm gonna have to get me speakers I can hear on the road. For right now, all I got is me and the high lonesome.

2 comments:

  1. Many years ago I had a tour of the Navajo and adjacent areas by small aircraft. We landed in Tuba City for awhile, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WINSLOW! Nice. I just had to sing the song to Amanda to demonstrate that you weren't crazy. . . or that I am also crazy. Not sure which.

    ReplyDelete