WELCOME to Between The Lines

This is my chronicle of my occasional travels about the country. I started it in 2010 for my trip on my 2005 Harley Road King Classic for Big Daddy's Gulf Coast Gypsy Tour to New Orleans...Read below to find out about it! NEW REQUEST FOR READERS! If you are following this blog, sign in as a follower! That way I get to know who my audience is, which makes it more fun. Thanks!

In 2011 its the same destination, and its another Big Daddy Gypsy Tour, but on a different bike (my new Road Glide Ultra) and via a different route. This year is going to be in preparation for a 'Travels with Charlie' trip sometime in the future --so its camping along the way, and reporting as I have energy and internet connections.

Periodic posts will appear below, latest first. The
"Pages" down at the bottom have some information of more general applicability or interest. Enjoy! HippieDave

Friday, October 22, 2010



All we have to do now is find Harley, Oklahoma and we're all set. This is Rick and me entering Davidsson, Oklahoma. All I can say is that Wednesday was a 520 mile day through four states. We headed North from the Texas panhandle into Oklahoma (where the wind comes sweeping down the plain). No surreys were sighted, although a dulcimer factory was. Southern Oklahoma is very pretty and without a lot of people...its like the Joads left and nobody moved in. We headed due east across the state, finding increasingly prosperous and pretty country, and then ducked back into Texas briefly and into Arkansas (again briefly) where we turned South into Louisiana. Got into Natchitoches, LA in time to grab dinner at Mama's Oyster Bar.

Thursday we had left ourselves a short run of only 250 miles into New Orleans, so we had some time to play around with. We decided to take the back bayou routes as far south as we could towards Baton Rouge before picking up I 10 into NOLA. All in all it was a pleasant run with stops at various restaurants recommended for their pie, and at the Harley Dealer in Arlington where Rick wanted to put his bike on a Dyno and measure his Air/Fuel ratios (he's running too lean).

New Orleans is BUSY. We spent today in the French Quarter doing touristy things, like getting soft shelled crab Po' Boys for lunch, going to Cafe Du Monde for beignets and coffee, and -- of course-- a visit to Voodoo Harley of New Orleans for a souvenir T-shirt. A vist to Marie Laveau's produced these charming pin cushions shaped like little people! Very quaint place New Orleans! I'll report more later. Right now I'm being called to dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment