WELCOME to Between The Lines

This is my chronicle of my occasional travels about the country. I started it in 2010 for my trip on my 2005 Harley Road King Classic for Big Daddy's Gulf Coast Gypsy Tour to New Orleans...Read below to find out about it! NEW REQUEST FOR READERS! If you are following this blog, sign in as a follower! That way I get to know who my audience is, which makes it more fun. Thanks!

In 2011 its the same destination, and its another Big Daddy Gypsy Tour, but on a different bike (my new Road Glide Ultra) and via a different route. This year is going to be in preparation for a 'Travels with Charlie' trip sometime in the future --so its camping along the way, and reporting as I have energy and internet connections.

Periodic posts will appear below, latest first. The
"Pages" down at the bottom have some information of more general applicability or interest. Enjoy! HippieDave

Friday, June 20, 2014

Going East to Get home....

Tomorrow I take off eastward to begin my return trip.  That is because I have not yet dipped my toes in the Atlantic, and must do before turning westward ho.  Will refine plan over coffee in the a.m.  I really want to go to Atlantic City, the cultural hub of the area, but time constraints may make me set my sights lower.

This has been a fun but extra tiring week of riding.  Northern NJ, at its intersection w/ PA and NY is a very beautiful area, with very beautiful homes, incredibly pastoral rivers and lots of roads.  Mucho roads.  You have to take ten or fifteen roads to go anywhere. (See earlier posts re this.)  Today we visited Highpoint State Park, which has an obelisk monument celebrating the fact that it is the highest point in all of New Jersey, at 1800 feet.  They didn't say whether that is with or without the monument. We could see all the way to our motel from up there, plus the bridge we crossed to get there. Despite all the incredibly lush vegetation, however, this is an extraordinarily urbanarea.  Lots of people.  Lots of stores, roads etc that make up an urban landscape.  Oh, give me room, lots of room, to see the starry skies.  I wanta go home.

It was great seeing people I only see at these events, and to share biker stories.  People have some new bikes.  Barney from Miami Fla. has a new Indian!  Gorgeous bike!  Some of these folks are genuine eccentrics, as you might imagine given that they are all MC Riders.  We had people from over 20 states...from Florida to California (that would be me) and from Canada. I had the oil changed at a local dealer while we stopped for lunch one day, as I've racked up over 5,000 miles since I left Caspar and, therefore, since my last oil change.  No serious accidents this year--we had one fender bender when a sudden stop caused by an errant truck caused two of our bikes to collide at a stop sign.  $320 bill later for a new tire fixed the situation.

Mostly we've just ridden the back roads around here, but it has been tiring, as there are lots of stops and tight turns and it has been hot.  Today we rode to West Point and got a guided tour of the facility on an airconditioned bus.  It was very interesting and nice. I could have used the time for a good nap, but the tour guide kept waking me up to go see something.  Lots of history there.  This year's athletic cheer is "Beat Someone, Anyone!"

I don't know when I will have internet again, but until then I am yrs. trly.....

No comments:

Post a Comment