WELCOME to Between The Lines

This is my chronicle of my occasional travels about the country. I started it in 2010 for my trip on my 2005 Harley Road King Classic for Big Daddy's Gulf Coast Gypsy Tour to New Orleans...Read below to find out about it! NEW REQUEST FOR READERS! If you are following this blog, sign in as a follower! That way I get to know who my audience is, which makes it more fun. Thanks!

In 2011 its the same destination, and its another Big Daddy Gypsy Tour, but on a different bike (my new Road Glide Ultra) and via a different route. This year is going to be in preparation for a 'Travels with Charlie' trip sometime in the future --so its camping along the way, and reporting as I have energy and internet connections.

Periodic posts will appear below, latest first. The
"Pages" down at the bottom have some information of more general applicability or interest. Enjoy! HippieDave

Sunday, October 9, 2011

My goodness, but time passes quickly here in the Big Easy! Someone pointed out today that I was falling behind in my blog, and I note that I haven't posted since Thursday! And here it is Sunday, goodbyes are being said and bags are being packed.

What can I say about the great and relaxing time we've had. Found Tuba Skinny on Royale Street, and had the chance to chat a bit with Erika Lewis (vocalist). I gave her my card and told her I'd find a venue for them if they ever make it out to the Mendocino Coast. Then we listened to another jazz group that was excellent and came fully equipped with swing dancers who were very talented and worth seeing just by themselves. Came back and visited some more with Grandpa Elliott over the next few days. Met some friends of his who stop by to check up on him, and learned that he likes a blue 'power drink' of some sort and a diet coke, so we made sure he was supplied. Heard him sing some more and play his harmonica on Friday and Saturday; he wasn't around today. However, in his stead we were able to listen to Doreen's Jazz group. Doreen is a remarkable clarinetist and jazz vocalist, but the highlights were her 9 year old daughter who sat in on the drum set and proved to be quite accomplished, and a 3 year old that Doreen babysits and who can actually produce sound out of a mini slide trombone he plays with.

We capped the day off with dinner at Zea's, our favorite (or one of them) NOLa restaurant –convenient as it is across the street from our hotel. Best fried shrimp I've ever had. Thank goodness I'm about to go off the fried seafood diet—I think I've developed gout in my little toe. Hope I can get my boots on tomorrow.

This a.m. I was trying to decide what route to take home (leaving in the a.m. Tomorrow). Weather across the country is uniformly benign for the serason.. Clear warm days and cold nights. So that was no help. I looked up music events in the little music enclave of Austin Texas, thinking I could route myself through there and catch some music, but couldn't find anything that grabbed my interest. On a whim, I googled Gillian Welch's schedule, and lo and behold—she's playing this coming Wednesday night in Wichita Kansas. “I can get there!” I thinks to meself. So I book a ticket on-line, and am all set to hear Gillian Welch at the Orpheus theater in Wichita KS 7:P30 this Wednesday p.m. Thereafter I'll probably head across the plains into Denver, Laramie, Salt Lake etc and towards Truckee and the descent into California and home.

Thanks again to Big Daddy and the First Lady for an absolutely wonderful, unstructured time in the Crescent City.
Don't know when I'll have access to the internet again. But I'll post asap. Adieu all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment