WELCOME to Between The Lines

This is my chronicle of my occasional travels about the country. I started it in 2010 for my trip on my 2005 Harley Road King Classic for Big Daddy's Gulf Coast Gypsy Tour to New Orleans...Read below to find out about it! NEW REQUEST FOR READERS! If you are following this blog, sign in as a follower! That way I get to know who my audience is, which makes it more fun. Thanks!

In 2011 its the same destination, and its another Big Daddy Gypsy Tour, but on a different bike (my new Road Glide Ultra) and via a different route. This year is going to be in preparation for a 'Travels with Charlie' trip sometime in the future --so its camping along the way, and reporting as I have energy and internet connections.

Periodic posts will appear below, latest first. The
"Pages" down at the bottom have some information of more general applicability or interest. Enjoy! HippieDave

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Just had a hot shower and fired up the little Primus stove and brewed a french press full of decaf. Its about 70 and the tree frogs are squeaking away. (How would you describe that sound? It ain't 'croakin' that's for sure.) If you ever want a camp stove ask me what the model of this Primus is. I didn't believe the claim, but its true. It brings a quart of water to a boil in just about 1 ½ minutes!

Did a bit over 500 miles today, which is pushing it a bit for me these days, but they were “easy” miles..I got away early and had smooth sailing all the way, including getting through Little Rock at rush hour this a.m. When all other directions of travel were at a standstill. The highway goddess is looking after me!
Arkansas is beautiful this time of year. The highway led me north/north west up through Ozark country and the leaves are starting to change. Don't know what elevation I was at, but it was chilly enough all day for full riding gear without underlayers. By the afternoon and well back into Oklahoma, all jacket vents were open.

I have to say I've become a big fan of this jacket: I got it for the trip because I wanted one all purpose/all weather jacket—at least up 'til temps hit the sweltering level. This one does it so far. By itself its surprisingly warm with just a tshirt, and its plenty roomy enough for my preferred double layering system of a light wool sweater plus a polyester fleece. Haven't had to use either this trip so far. (The jacket comes with a zip in Thermal layer, but I've never found those to be all that great, and they're something of a hassle so that got left in the closet.) It fits close, so you're not flapping around in the wind, but its quite comfy. The jacket has a dozen zippered vents and has snaps designed to hold some of them open. The venting seems to work well up into the high 80s' --above that I wear a light mesh shirt that has good air flow and reflects heat well. The jacket is the Tour Master Pivot 3. It also has armor in arms shoulders and back. The jury is still out on the armor: It is very comfortable to wear—I can't tell it's there at all. But it makes the jacket considerably more bulky to pack. We'll see. All in all though –and especially considering the price of about $160.00, this jacket is a home run so far.

Got into Wichita about 4:30 and set up camp for two nights at a great private camp/RV park. Showers are HOT and unlimited, its quiet and shaded and I have power at the tent site for $2 extra. (One RV park wanted to charge $8 for power; I passed.) Wichita is much bigger than I anticipated—about 300,000 people, and has a lot of stuff going on. Being right on the Arkansas and Little Arkansas rivers lends a coolness to the air I think. (For those North of the state line, that's pronounced Ar-Kansas River BTW, not “arkansaw”). Its a pretty city too, at least what I've seen so far. Tomorrow I'm going to tour around, and go into old town to see what's happenin'. Then on to see Gillian tomorrow night! Will report later.  

It interesting to come back to Kansas for the first time in 25 years.  It is noticeably different than neighboring states such as Arkansas and Oklahoma...Its absolutely flat here. and very "developed" agriculturally speaking, with less of the open forest or open range feel. Kansans do have a good sense of humor though.  The residential subdivision next door to my camping site is called Auburn Hills.  And next door to that is Maple Valley.  I'm sorry, but to get valleys you gotta have hills, and Auburn "Hills" is somebody's idea of a good joke.  I think "The Dunes" down the road must refer to the sand traps on the local golf courses.

Musical highlight of the day--there is a great Country music station out of either Little Rock or Ft. Smith AR.  They play a lot of the oldies of country, including--today, back to back: "Rednecks, White Socks and Blue Ribbon Beer" and "Its too hot for fishing, too hot for golf, and too cold at home"!  I'd plumb fergot about those two absolute classics!

2 comments:

  1. Just caught up with your travels. At this moment, you are at the concert. Hope you got to see Old Town in Wichita. I thought it was interesting. Tomorrow, you can stop in for breakfast or lunch at that place Lizard and I like. http://www.yoderkansas.com/ccr.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I appreciate the well-written thorough report. It makes your trip come to life. I'm getting too feeble to make such a trip, so love living yours through your words.

    ReplyDelete